Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Adora Svitak


Adora Svitak poem and diary
Love

I love my Mommy…
She loves me…
When she’s sick, I make her tea.
When she’s sad, I cheer her up,
When we’re hungry, we sup.

I love my Daddy…
He loves me…
When he’s tired, I leave him to read,
When he is weary, I leave him to rest.
When he is playful, his jokes are the best!

I love my Sister,
She sometimes loves me,
When she is joyful, I let her ride on me,
When she is upset, I give her hugs,
When she is curious, I show her bugs.

Adora Svitak

11-28-2007 Adora Svitak dỉary

We are now in Viet Nam. We have arrived safely and have had a delicious breakfast after a wonderful sleep in the beautiful room [in the Hotel Majestic]. Because the hotel was built some time ago, the ceilings are fairly low and it is very interesting. Vietnam is very hot and humid and Mommy is dying (well, almost).
...
Today we had a terrifying experience. Vietnam has hardly any traffic lights at all, and is filled with motorbikes and trucks going in all different directions on the same lanes, with broken sidewalks and people going at high speeds while chatting on cell phones without helmets. We had to cross a road by weaving through the motorbikes; there were no lights at all! It was so scary. You [my dad] would hate driving here, nobody follows the rules.

Food is very cheap here. Our dinner bill cost only 600,000 dollars or so—that is, in Vietnamese currency. That equaled, I believe, maybe forty or fifty dollars. Most dishes were around nine dollars or so. I had braised fish with steamed rice and sauce, as well as goat cheese with vinegar on toasted bread and a huge salad with very strong onions. The Japanese prime minister was on a ferry on the river. We didn't see him, but one of the waiters in our hotel whose restaurant was catering the event told us. Yesterday we swam in the pool, went into the private hot tub with a jacuzzi, went into a sauna that smelled of cinnamon, and went into a steambath (which was pretty much the same except [wet and] harder to breathe inside.

Adora Svitak

Source adorasvitak.com
Read more NBC News
Adorasvitak poetry
Right above picture : Adora Svitak